Choosing/Declaring a Major

Many students enter Biola without a declared major. In fact, 16% of the class of 2013 had not yet declared their major upon entrance to Biola. Here are some of the reasons our students are undeclared:

  • They have a variety of interests and don’t want to choose just one
  • They are leaning toward one specific major but want to be sure it’s the right choice
  • They have not yet developed a passion for a particular field of study
  • They are waiting on admission to a particular major (ex: film, music, nursing)

See below for advice. Regardless of which category you fall into, the Advising Center is here to serve you! We have full time Academic Advisors specifically assigned to guide undeclared students through the process of exploring majors. You can schedule an appointment with your advisor by coming to the Advising Center, emailing us, or calling 562.903.4782.

How to Declare a Major:

1. Look at all the majors offered by Biola and settle on one you are interested in most (be sure to do plenty of research, which could include visiting the Advising Center, the Career Center, the department of preferred major, etc.);

2. Check to see if the major you want to declare has an application process or classes that need to be taken beforehand. If so, visit the major's department to get more information;

3. Once you've decided on a major, declare it using a major change form!


Resources For Undeclared Students

  • The Advising Center – If you are undeclared, your Academic Advisor works in the Advising Center. There are also Peer Academic Advisors (current junior/senior Biola students) who are available to meet with you. Good advising is crucial to your academic success and planning.
  • Career Center– The staff in the Career Center have several career assessments you can take to give you a little more insight into your interests, values, strengths, and skills. Some of these assessments might steer you towards certain majors or fields of study.
  • The Major Fair – As a part of the First Year Seminar for undeclared students, a Major Fair is hosted with presentations from various academic departments. This fair is a good opportunity to have questions answered by faculty in specific majors.
  • Major DepartmentsFaculty and Advisors in each department are great resources to students seeking to learn more about specific majors. Faculty Advisors are often available to sit down with interested students and discuss the value of their major. This is the most important step in the process of choosing a major.

Undeclared Students: Important Notes

  • What classes I would take in the program: University Catalog
  • How to schedule my semesters as an Undeclared student
  • Most students can remain undeclared at Biola for three semesters. If you transfer any coursework from other colleges or have credit from A.P. exams, this time will be shorter for you.
  • We do not recommend the undeclared major for Torrey Honors students or students considering Nursing, Art, Business, or any Science major. Due to the number of units required by these programs, students who begin as Undeclared may need additional time to graduate.

Changing Your Major, Concentration, Minor, or Program

Undergrad Major, Concentration, or Minor Changes

Just fill out the form online and submit! For assistance or advising regarding changes in your studies, please see the Advising Center.

Online Forms
Major/Concentration Change Form
Minor Change Form

Graduate Program Changes

To change your program of study, please fill out the appropriate form below. If your program or school is not listed, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (888) 985-9858 or email

Online Forms
Institute for Spiritual Formation Change of Program Form
School of Education Change of Program Form
Talbot School of Theology Change of Program Form

Report a problem on this page
Biola University
13800 Biola Ave. La Mirada, CA 90639
© Biola University, Inc. All Rights Reserved.