Communication Sciences & Disorders Internships & Volunteering

SLPA License

Students who are pursuing a BS in Communication Disorders may also obtain a SLPA (Speech-Language Pathologist Assistant) license. In order for that to happen, students must do a SLPA internship at a clinic or school of their choice under a licensed SLP who has their CCC's and at least two years of professional SLP experience. Students who are thinking of doing a SLPA internship should start preparing at least one semester in advance. Below are some resources you will need if you intend to pursue this license.


Students are encouraged to seek out internships with local SLPs and Audiologists to help gain knowledge and valuable experience in the field. If students require an extra elective unit to graduate, they have to option to do CODS440 Communication Disorders Internship as an arranged course. Students should talk to the administrative coordinator, Alicia McCormick, for more information.

Teacher Assistant (TA) Positions

The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders hires teacher assistants (TA) each school year to assist professors in grading and research. TAs are typically juniors and seniors, but lower classmen will be considered. If interested, please use our application form to apply. Deadline is May 1.

Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteering is a great way to gain experience related to the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology. Many students seek out volunteer experiences on their own or join along with the Biola NSSLHA chapter. Below is a list of some of the organizations and events where Biola students have done volunteer work.

Report a problem on this page
Biola University
13800 Biola Ave. La Mirada, CA 90639
© Biola University, Inc. All Rights Reserved.