Roommates 101: The Basics
Who Will Bring What?
- Make a list of what each of you will bring, from furniture to appliances
- Decide who will purchase any new/necessary items that neither of you own
When Expectations are Not Met:
- Stay calm.
- Schedule a house meeting.
- List what you want to talk about prior to the meeting.
- Stay in the present as much as possible. Avoid talking about things that happened a month ago and have already been resolved.
- Talk to one another and work towards a compromise or agreement.
- Look at what you can all do differently next time.
- Don't yell or accuse.
- Communicate face-to-face or over the phone. Try not to text or leave notes.
- If you don't confront issues that are bothering you, the fault ultimately lies with you.
After You Move In...
- Who will be responsible for calling the landlord if you have problems with the unit? You may want to designate a "house manager" to handle rent payments and landlord communication.
- How will you make each other aware of the conversations you have with your landlord?
- Be sure to keep communicating with each other, as roommates, to keep your relationship a positive one!