Thank you for your interest in holding a Department Chapel!
We have updated our Department Chapel requirements to continue to meet our community standards.
In view of our ongoing need to ensure engagement and accountability, our office will now be providing chapel scanners for all department chapels. The size and location of your chapel will determine how many chapel scanners are assigned to your chapel.
The form to submit your request is listed here: Department Chapel Request Application
We don’t want to be prescriptive about your chapel, but here are some suggestions:
- Department chapels would be characterized by being chiefly a Godward time that has as its end (telos) interaction with, enjoyment, knowledge, and worship of God and fellowship with others. This could be facilitated by a number of things:
- Personal and vocational testimonies and stories from faculty, staff, and students that serve to mentor others in the life of faith.
- Teaching from the Word or from wisdom, including wisdom from the discipline that connects with or expands upon the truths and commands of scripture.
- Ministry to one another in prayer, encouragement, fellowship.
- Musical and non-musical worship.
- Discussion of and reflection on readings or media that bring those present into a deeper knowledge and awareness of God and his kingdom.
- A department chapel would not be a time chiefly characterized by
- Curricular lecture (e.g. visiting lecturer on some aspect of the discipline apart from a significant integration or implications for faith, wisdom, etc.)
- Awareness or promotion of particular ministries or clubs on campus (we don’t want a club or ministry external to the dept. using a dept. chapel as has happened)
- Academic or informational orientation or meetings
- Awards ceremonies
- Academic advising
- Consider your target audience and your subsequent outcomes for your time together. What God is doing in their lives? How is God working and moving? What are they bringing with them to your chapel? What are their felt and actual needs? How could you minister to, equip, and teach them during this time?
Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions, or would like some assistance ensuring your Department Chapel is a success!
— The Office of Chapel Accountability