The Psychology Department offers an opportunity for their majors to gain valuable off (or on) campus, job-related experience in an approved psychological setting, agency or workplace while earning university credit (PSYC450 Directed Fieldwork).
PSYC450 Directed Fieldwork (Internship) Program requirements:
- Must be a junior or senior psychology major.
- Internship must be approved by the Psychology department by completing all necessary paperwork prior to beginning work/counting hours. Credit will not be granted retroactively.
- Site must have an individual with an advanced degree (Masters, Doctoral) in psychology or a related field who will be responsible for you.
- Can be done for 1 to 3 units (up to 6 units maximum; up to 3 units max for any one internship site).
- 45 hours per unit completed over a minimum six-week period (minimum four weeks during the summer).
Benefits of doing an internship:
- Opportunity to integrate classroom knowledge with real-world experience.
- Gain valuable career-related experience.
- Looks great when applying for grad school
- Develops relationships with professionals in the field
- Provides an avenue to obtain professional letters of recommendation
- Strong networking potential
What do you need to do?
- Follow the step-by-step instructions on the PSYC 450 Information Sheet
Important Deadlines for Paperwork
- Final deadline to register an internship for Fall 2019: Monday, October 14, 2019
- Final deadline to register an internship for Spring 2020: Monday, February 24, 2020
- Final deadline to register an internship for Summer 2020: Monday, July 6, 2020
- Arranged Course Permission Form (PDF)
- Directed Field Work Contract
- Log of Hours Form
- Internships — Biola Handshake Portal
- PSYC 450 Information Sheet
Career Center Links