Dear Potential Donor:
In 2009, the LORD brought us a visionary donor with start-up funds, and a strategy, to attract top students to our thoroughly Christian program. Before sharing the strategy, let me first tell you a little about our university.
The goal of Biola is to glorify God in all that we do. Biola offers a distinctly biblical education, whose mission is “equipping men and women in mind and character to impact the world for the Lord Jesus Christ.” In order to keep our Christian commitments as directed by God, we accept no government funding. Unfortunately however, in order to advance today’s scientific marketplace, many top Christian students regularly select secular research universities over Christian liberal arts universities because of finances or better perceived research opportunities. This weakens the body of Christ in the long run because of the humanistic worldview adopted by many students trained in such programs. Our goal is to attract some of these students to Biola’s math department, which integrates a biblical worldview into all classes and provides a godly campus atmosphere conducive to spiritual growth.
In consultation with the visionary donor mentioned above, the Research Assistant in Mathematics Program (RAMP) was formed. The strategy involves a spiral with three parts.
- Attract a few top students to our department with RAMP-assisted research funding or scholarships.
- Prayerfully cultivate student success in research and the national math competition
- Use the research and competition fruit to attract more students -- throughout this upwards spiraling process, students will be continually discipled in Biola’s dynamic Christian environment.
The cost of supporting one research assistant, or one RAMP scholarship, is $1000/semester, or $2000/year. We currently have funds for one research assistant per year for five years. Because the program is embedded within our existing structure, 100% of donated funds go to RAMP students. If you would like to help build the RAMP to launch the next generation of Christian mathematicians to the next level, here’s how:
- Pray for God’s blessing and spiritual protection of our department and students.
- Give financially. Biola is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and all donations to Biola and RAMP are tax deductible. There are two ways to give:
- Online: Go to http://giving.biola.edu/, click “Give Now”, and in the “Designation” menu select “Other” and put RAMP – Math Department.
- Mail: Make your check payable to “Biola University”, put “RAMP” or “Math Research” on the comment line, and mail to:
Biola Math Department, 13800 Biola Ave., La Mirada, CA 90639
- Spread the news about what God is doing in the Biola math/computer science department.
We welcome input from donors and would be glad to provide more information or discuss these things with you. Thank you very much for your interest in our program.
Yours in Christ,
Secretary, RAMP Committee
- Department of Math and Computer Science (MCS)
- Last Updated:
- March 21, 2017