Sona Systems Overview
- With Sona Systems students may create their own accounts, login immediately and view all available studies and the times they may participate in those studies.
- Students can track their progress, including credit status and studies they have signed up for, at any time.
- Students are notified by email with a reminder of their upcoming appointments and also when they receive credit for a study they participated in.
- Students may sign up or cancel their appointment to participate in a study up until a specified deadline before the study is scheduled to occur.
- Students may change the class designated for extra credit up until the Monday of finals week.
Create your account
- Click here to create your account.
- Click on the "New Participant?" link on the bottom, left-hand corner.
- On the next page, type in your first and last name.
- Your User ID will be your current Biola email address.
- You do not need to enter a phone number.
- In the "Courses" box, select the class you wish to designate for extra credit. Click the "Request an Account" button ONLY ONCE and wait. A password will be sent to your email address.
- In the next window, enter your password and login immediately to view all available experiments.
- BEFORE you sign up for extra credit make sure you have the approval of your professor and make sure you select the correct course section (01, 02 or 03, etc.)
- Click "Study Sign Up" to sign up for an experiment.
To add multiple courses to your profile:
- Log on to Sona Systems.
- Click on "My Profile".
- Click on "Change Courses".
- To add multiple courses: Hold the Control or Apple key as you click on the classes you wish to add. Pay special attention to the section and professor.
If you choose multiple classes, you may reassign a credit from one class to another. To do this, use the Reassign link that appears when you view your progress.
PLEASE NOTE: Sona Systems AUTOMATICALLY assigns a "point" for each experiment, based on length of time. One "point" for every 30 minutes. Professors may use another formula for determining extra credit (e.g., they may require 60 minutes for an extra credit, meaning 1 extra credit unit = 2 Sona System points). Your professor will communicate the formula he or she will use to determine the value of a Sona System point.
There is a free app for Sona System participants. The link below gives information about the Sona Mobile app. When you sign up, you will need the URL, and you will need to use your WHOLE email address including the '@biola.edu' part.
SONA SYSTEMS URL: https://biola.sona-systems.com/default.aspx?logout=Y
No Show Penalty
REMEMBER: Due to the high number of students who sign up for an experiment and fail to keep their appointment, a "No Show" penalty has been established. If you miss an appointment, the number of points TO BE EARNED will automatically be deducted. Therefore, if you sign up for a 3-point extra credit experiment and do not show, your Credit Information record will reflect a -3 (negative 3) and you WILL need to make up the points before you can start earning extra credit.
Please note, to avoid "no show penalties" you must cancel at least 24 hours before the start of the experiment.
Lastly, be sure to become acquainted with the other two links: "My Schedule and Credits" and "My Profile" as they can be very helpful!!
Problems signing up?
If you have any problems signing up for an account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by Rose Hall and ask one of the staff members for help. They'll be happy to assist you.
- Degrees and Programs:
- B.A. in Psychology, Minor in Psychology
- Undergraduate Psychology Department
- Last Updated:
- August 24, 2022